Pages

Tuesday 17 February 2015

Either a green unicorn just raced across the lab, or I accidentally took some LSD.

This week, I'm taking a little bit of a break from the blanket to crochet some stuff for the baby twins my in-laws just had. Baby things are so adorable, even my husband's got involved and bought some teeny tiny baby clothes for them. I'm going to take pics of the things I'm making and post them next week so for now, let's go back to the squares for the Blanket of Doom.

For the next square, we're back to TV shows because I wanted to make a 'Fringe' square. It turned out to be a lot trickier than I expected. My first idea was to do one of the logos that appear on the opening credits, like the seahorse or the apple but I really wanted something more related to Walter because he's my husband's favourite character. So I thought I'd make a pattern with Gene, Walter's cow from the lab but quickly realised that it would end up just being a square with a cow on and no real relation to the show at all. Then I remembered the episode where Walter tells a detective noir story involving all the main characters and in it Gene the cow has bright multi-coloured spots. Perfect because I'd just learned the double knitting with more than two colours technique I talked about in the last post.

I didn't want a cartoony looking cow and most of the more realistic looking cow charts online were too big for the square. I did find a smaller cow chart which I used as a base for Gene but it looks like I forgot to save it and now I can't find it again. If it belongs to you, please let me know so that I can credit you. But because I did alter the base to make it more Gene-like, I have posted the final chart I made. 

Square 27: Fringe.


I really did struggle with this square. At one point I was working with five different colours of wool at the same time and it was so difficult; it tangled really easily and took ages to complete (about twice as long as a normal square). I'm sticking to three colours only from this point on, lol.

Also, I might have run out of purple before I managed to finish *ahem*. I think I would have cried if I had to unravel everything I'd already done but I came up with the brilliant idea of adding stripes to the top of the square to represent the different coloured universes on the show. Okay, so it was a bit of a bandaid fix-it but I don't think it looks too bad at all; the stripes kind of go with the spots so it works.

This is a design that I made for my own personal use and is not endorsed by or being used by Lamas and Lattes or the official Geek-a-long blanket. I am merely a fan of their project and have decided to make my own version. Don't forget to visit the Geek-a-long page to show your support for the official Geek-a-long blanket project which is raising money for a great cause and if you'd like to donate to that cause then please visit The Child's Play Charity here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com